What is Treximet?

Treximet is the brand name of a combination medication used to treat migraine headaches. Treximet contains two active ingredients: sumatriptan, which is a serotonin 5-HT1 receptor agonist (also called a triptan), and naproxen sodium, which is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (an NSAID).  Though Treximet can't prevent migraines, it can effectively treat and control the symptoms once a migraine attack starts. Triptans work by narrowing blood vessels in the brain, and NSAIDs work to relieve pain by blocking the development of certain chemicals (prostaglandins) in the body. Treximet is usually taken as soon as symptoms of a migraine are noticed.

Continue Learning about Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs

An Alarming Side Effect of NSAIDs: Ovulation Stops
If the Duchess of Cambridge (Kate Middleton) had been taking any of the three common NSAIDs mentioned below, for any of the aches and pains that accom...
Do nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs increase the risk of heart disease?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
There have been reports of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) being linked to a sligh...
What should I discuss with my doctor before taking NSAIDs?
To avoid suffering an adverse reaction, talk to your doctor before you take an NSAID, even over the ...
Are Steroid Injections for Back Pain Safe?