What is mefenamic acid?

Mefenamic acid is a medication that is used to treat mild to moderate pain. It belongs to a group of medications called nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). These drugs reduce inflammation and pain by inhibiting the action of prostaglandins, which are natural substances in the body that trigger pain and inflammation. Mefenamic acid is recommended for short-lived pain that is expected to last for up to one week. Mefenamic acid is supplied as a capsule that is taken by mouth. It is available in only one strength and requires a prescription. Mefenamic acid is sold in the United States under the brand name Ponstel.

Continue Learning about Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs

An Alarming Side Effect of NSAIDs: Ovulation Stops
According to research revealed at the 2015 European League Against Rheumatism Annual Congress meeting, many women stop ovulating after taking standard...
What should I know before I take celecoxib?
If you are over age 65, celecoxib may not be a good option for you. If you are allergic to sulfa dr...
What are NSAIDs?
NSAIDs, or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, are medications that decrease inflammation and...
Are Steroid Injections for Back Pain Safe?