What should I do if I take too much ibuprofen?

If you or someone else takes too much ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), get medical attention right away. Contact your local poison control center or dial 911 -- especially if someone has collapsed or isn’t breathing. The symptoms of an overdose of ibuprofen include:
  • dizziness
  • fast, uncontrollable eye movements
  • blurred vision
  • slow breathing or no breathing for short periods
Ibuprofen is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) that can relieve pain, fever, swelling, stiffness and tenderness. You should take the proper amounts listed on the package label and the smallest dosage that works for you. It is available over the counter and by prescription. If your doctor has given you a prescription for ibuprofen, follow his dosage directions.

Continue Learning about Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs

An Alarming Side Effect of NSAIDs: Ovulation Stops
If the Duchess of Cambridge (Kate Middleton) had been taking any of the three common NSAIDs mentioned below, for any of the aches and pains that accom...
What should I know before using topical salicylic acid?
If you have impaired kidney function or impaired liver function, you should avoid prolonged use of t...
How do NSAIDs work?
NSAIDs, or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, are medications that decrease inflammation and...
Are Steroid Injections for Back Pain Safe?