What should I do if I miss a dose of ibuprofen?

If you miss a scheduled dose of the pain reliever ibuprofen, take it as soon as you remember, unless it’s almost time for your next dose. In that case, skip the missed dose and return to your normal dosing schedule. Never take two doses to make up for a missed one. If you keep missing scheduled doses, talk with your doctor.

Ibuprofen is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) taken to relieve pain, fever, tenderness, swelling and stiffness. Nonprescription varieties can be taken as needed according to the directions on the package. It also is available by prescription. If you take it regularly for an ongoing condition such as arthritis, follow your doctor’s directions carefully.

Continue Learning about Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs

An Alarming Side Effect of NSAIDs: Ovulation Stops
If the Duchess of Cambridge (Kate Middleton) had been taking any of the three common NSAIDs mentioned below, for any of the aches and pains that accom...
Can I use an NSAID with a triptan for my migraines?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
Adding a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID), such as naproxen, to a triptan can help increa...
Do nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs increase the risk of heart disease?
Dawn MarcusDawn Marcus
There have been reports of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) being linked to a sligh...
Are Steroid Injections for Back Pain Safe?