What should I do if I miss a dose of ibuprofen?

If you miss a scheduled dose of the pain reliever ibuprofen, take it as soon as you remember, unless it’s almost time for your next dose. In that case, skip the missed dose and return to your normal dosing schedule. Never take two doses to make up for a missed one. If you keep missing scheduled doses, talk with your doctor.

Ibuprofen is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) taken to relieve pain, fever, tenderness, swelling and stiffness. Nonprescription varieties can be taken as needed according to the directions on the package. It also is available by prescription. If you take it regularly for an ongoing condition such as arthritis, follow your doctor’s directions carefully.

Continue Learning about Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs

An Alarming Side Effect of NSAIDs: Ovulation Stops
According to research revealed at the 2015 European League Against Rheumatism Annual Congress meeting, many women stop ovulating after taking standard...
When are prescription nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) used?
Harris H. McIlwain, MDHarris H. McIlwain, MD
These prescription-strength medications are used when there is pain and inflammation from many t...
Does topical salicylic acid interact with other medications?
You should not combine a salicylate taken by mouth with topical salicylic acid. This answer was ada...
Are Steroid Injections for Back Pain Safe?