Should I let my doctor know I am taking ibuprofen?

Yes, tell your doctor if you're taking ibuprofen. Ibuprofen and other drugs like it can increase the risk of heart attack and stroke, so it may not be the best choice for some people, such as those who have or are at risk for heart disease. Ibuprofen can also interact with other medications and can cause problems. It's important to tell your doctor about your ibuprofen use if you need to begin taking a daily aspirin to prevent heart attack or stroke. Ibuprofen can reduce the heart-protective effect of aspirin. If you are treating your child with ibuprofen, tell the doctor. If your child's fever does not improve after three days of using ibuprofen, talk to their doctor right away. Persistent fever and fever with other flu-like symptoms can be the result of a more serious health condition. It's also important to tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding before taking ibuprofen; it can have harmful effects on a fetus. Other health conditions that may be made worse by the use of ibuprofen include: asthma, edema, lupus, history of stroke and hypertension. Tell your doctor if you have any of the conditions before using ibuprofen.

Continue Learning about Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs

An Alarming Side Effect of NSAIDs: Ovulation Stops
According to research revealed at the 2015 European League Against Rheumatism Annual Congress meeting, many women stop ovulating after taking standard...
Can NSAIDs and acetaminophen be combined?
NSAIDs and acetaminophen are sometimes combined to form a stronger medication than if each medicatio...
What should I discuss with my doctor before taking NSAIDs?
To avoid suffering an adverse reaction, talk to your doctor before you take an NSAID, even over the ...
Are Steroid Injections for Back Pain Safe?