What is the difference between salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide?

Although both salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide medications are used to treat skin conditions, such as acne, they are different medicines. Benzoyl peroxide may be used for mild acne and functions as both a drying agent and bacteria-killer. Doctors sometimes supplement benzoyl peroxide with the stronger salicylic acid, or use salicylic acid separately, for more severe acne. Salicylic acid has peeling properties that benzoyl peroxide does not.

Continue Learning about Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs

An Alarming Side Effect of NSAIDs: Ovulation Stops
If the Duchess of Cambridge (Kate Middleton) had been taking any of the three common NSAIDs mentioned below, for any of the aches and pains that accom...
What is the maximum daily dosage for ibuprofen?
West Valley Medical CenterWest Valley Medical Center
Patients should try and take as little ibuprofen as possible, as it can cause gastrointestinal and c...
What should I know before I take celecoxib?
If you are over age 65, celecoxib may not be a good option for you. If you are allergic to sulfa dr...
Are Steroid Injections for Back Pain Safe?