What should I know about nabumetone before taking it?

Before taking nabumetone, tell your doctor about any medications or supplements you are taking, and any medical conditions you have or have ever had. It is especially important to notify your doctors if you have or have had any of the following conditions:
  • heart disease 
  • heart attack 
  • congestive heart failure 
  • stroke 
  • high blood pressure 
  • high cholesterol 
  • blood clot 
  • blood clotting disorder 
  • bleeding disorder 
  • stomach ulcers 
  • stomach bleeding
  • liver disease 
  • kidney disease 
  • diabetes 
  • asthma 
  • nose polyps 
  • chronic stuffy or runny nose 
  • edema (swelling) in your limbs 
  • tobacco use
Avoid being out in the sun while taking nabumetone. Because the medication may increase sensitivity to sunlight, wear protective clothing and sunblock when outside.      

NSAIDs increase the risk of heart attack and stroke. NSAIDs may cause ulcers, fissures or bleeding in the stomach and intestines. Using this medicine while you are pregnant can harm your unborn baby. It is important to tell your doctor if you are breastfeeding, pregnant or plan to become pregnant. The FDA has classified nabumetone as a pregnancy Category C drug and a Category D drug when used in the third trimester. Although there are insufficient studies on whether the medication passes into breast milk, talk with your doctor if you plan to breastfeed your baby while taking nabumetone.

Continue Learning about Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs

An Alarming Side Effect of NSAIDs: Ovulation Stops
If the Duchess of Cambridge (Kate Middleton) had been taking any of the three common NSAIDs mentioned below, for any of the aches and pains that accom...
How should I take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are available both with and without a prescription...
What should I discuss with my doctor before taking NSAIDs?
To avoid suffering an adverse reaction, talk to your doctor before you take an NSAID, even over the ...
Are Steroid Injections for Back Pain Safe?