What should I know about ketoprofen before taking it?

Before you take ketoprofen, you should be aware that there are a number of health conditions, as well as medications that can negatively interact with this medication. If you are considering taking ketoprofen, you should be sure to first discuss your health condition with your doctor, and make sure that the drug is safe for you to use. If you have ever had an allergic reaction to ketoprofen, aspirin, another nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) or any other medication, it is important for you to tell the doctor before starting a ketoprofen regimen. Let you doctor know if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, since complications could occur as a result of taking ketoprofen. If you are taking any prescription, herbal or non-prescription medications, or if you have allergies to certain foods or medications, this information will be necessary for your physician to know. If your doctor does not already know about your medical history, advise him or her of any past health problems you have experienced, including a history of liver or kidney disease, stomach or bowel problems, asthma, swelling, fluid buildup, nasal polyps, mouth inflammation, high blood pressure, blood disorders, clotting or bleeding problems, heart problems or blood vessel disease. If you have recently had a coronary artery bypass graft or any form of heart surgery, if your health is poor, if you have dehydration of fluid volume problems, low blood sodium levels, a habit of drinking alcohol or a history of alcohol abuse, be sure to tell your physician as well.

Continue Learning about Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs

An Alarming Side Effect of NSAIDs: Ovulation Stops
If the Duchess of Cambridge (Kate Middleton) had been taking any of the three common NSAIDs mentioned below, for any of the aches and pains that accom...
How should I store my acetaminophen and NSAIDs?
Storage of pain relievers like acetaminophen and NSAIDs is somewhat simple: keep it tightly shut in ...
Is it safe to take an NSAID with aspirin?
Howard E. Lewine, MDHoward E. Lewine, MD
Aspirin increases the risk of stomach and intestinal ulcers and internal bleeding. Most non-steroida...
Are Steroid Injections for Back Pain Safe?