How should I take Aleve (naproxen)?

Do not take more than the recommended dose of Aleve, and always take the smallest effective dose. Adults should take one tablet every 8 to 10 hours until symptoms abate, although the first dose may be two tablets. You should not take more than two tablets within an 8 to 10 hour period or three tablets within a 24-hour period. You should never take Aleve for longer than 10 days, unless recommended by your doctor. If symptoms continue for longer than 10 days, you should call your doctor. Take each dose with a full glass of water. Aleve may be taken with or without food. You should not give Aleve to a child under 12 years old unless recommended by a doctor.

Continue Learning about Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs

An Alarming Side Effect of NSAIDs: Ovulation Stops
If the Duchess of Cambridge (Kate Middleton) had been taking any of the three common NSAIDs mentioned below, for any of the aches and pains that accom...
When are prescription nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) used?
Akash Bajaj, MDAkash Bajaj, MD
NSAIDs are an extremely common and readily available class of drugs that focus on decreasing inflamm...
What treatments other than NSAIDS can I use for a migraine?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Other treatments for acute migraine pain include the ergotamines, which because of their risks and a...
Are Steroid Injections for Back Pain Safe?