How do NSAIDs prevent strokes and heart disease?

Aspirin is the only NSAID used as a blood thinner for people at risk of stroke or heart attack. By thinning the blood, aspirin helps to regulate blood pressure and circulate blood to the heart and brain, preventing clots that cause strokes and heart attacks. Other types of NSAIDs actually increase heart attack and stroke risk. 

People who must take aspirin to prevent strokes and heart attacks take on new risks, since extended use of NSAIDs can cause ulcers, kidney and liver disease and gastrointestinal bleeding. Despite the dangers of the extended use of NSAIDs, some people must continue to take NSAIDs to avoid serious conditions.

Continue Learning about Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs

An Alarming Side Effect of NSAIDs: Ovulation Stops
If the Duchess of Cambridge (Kate Middleton) had been taking any of the three common NSAIDs mentioned below, for any of the aches and pains that accom...
What should I discuss with my doctor before taking NSAIDs?
To avoid suffering an adverse reaction, talk to your doctor before you take an NSAID, even over the ...
What are nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)?
Leopold D. Galland, MDLeopold D. Galland, MD
NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) include common over-the-counter drugs such as aspirin ...
Are Steroid Injections for Back Pain Safe?