How do I take oxaprozin (Daypro)?

You should take oxaprozin exactly as directed by your doctor. You will likely start taking two 600 mg. caplets with food, once a day. The doctor will increase the dose for you as needed but not exceeding the maximum recommended total daily dose of 1800 mg. Oxaprozin (Daypro) is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) used to relieve the pain and inflammation associated with osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and juvenile rheumatoid arthritis (JRA)/juvenile idiopathic arthritis (JIA). It reduces pain, swelling and joint stiffness by blocking certain chemicals involved in the inflammation process. A child's dose will depend on his or her body weight.

Your doctor may also tell you to take this medicine only when you need it.

If you are experiencing any gastrointestinal side effects your doctor may tell you to take one 600 mg. caplet twice a day.

Continue Learning about Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs

An Alarming Side Effect of NSAIDs: Ovulation Stops
If the Duchess of Cambridge (Kate Middleton) had been taking any of the three common NSAIDs mentioned below, for any of the aches and pains that accom...
What is the advantage of COX-2 inhibitors over NSAIDs?
Grant Cooper, MDGrant Cooper, MD
The basic mechanism of action of the COX-2 inhibitors is similar to that of nonsteroidal anti-inflam...
How should I store my acetaminophen and NSAIDs?
Storage of pain relievers like acetaminophen and NSAIDs is somewhat simple: keep it tightly shut in ...
Are Steroid Injections for Back Pain Safe?