How do NSAIDs work?

NSAIDs, or non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, are medications that decrease inflammation and pain by deterring prostaglandin production. Prostaglandins are chemicals produced by cells in the body that promote pain, fever and inflammation. They also protect the lining of your digestive tract and support blood clotting functions. Since they reduce inflammation, NSAIDs are useful for painful conditions like menstrual cramps, arthritis, some injuries, coughs and colds and headaches.

Continue Learning about Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs

An Alarming Side Effect of NSAIDs: Ovulation Stops
If the Duchess of Cambridge (Kate Middleton) had been taking any of the three common NSAIDs mentioned below, for any of the aches and pains that accom...
How soon after taking meloxicam will my symptoms improve?
West Valley Medical CenterWest Valley Medical Center
Meloxicam can have an onset of action within 30 minutes and last in the blood longer than ibuprofen....
How can I prevent side effects from NSAIDs?
Here are some ways you can lower your risk of developing side effects from nonsteroidal anti-inflamm...
Are Steroid Injections for Back Pain Safe?