Does Voltaren (diclofenac) help osteoarthritis pain?

Voltaren (diclofenac) is prescription nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) that helps relieve osteoarthritis pain, inflammation, swelling and stiffness in the joints. In osteoarthritis, cartilage that supports and cushions the joints wears away, causing bones to rub against each other. As the cartilage becomes damaged, chemicals called prostaglandins are released, which cause nerve endings to send pain signals to the brain.

Diclofenac stops prostaglandin production to reduce pain. Other brand names of diclofenac include Cambia, Cataflam, Voltarol and Zipsor. If you have a history of heart disease, taking diclofenac may increase your risk of heart attack or stroke. Also, tell your doctor or pharmacist what other medications you are taking to avoid drug interactions. 

Continue Learning about Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs

An Alarming Side Effect of NSAIDs: Ovulation Stops
If the Duchess of Cambridge (Kate Middleton) had been taking any of the three common NSAIDs mentioned below, for any of the aches and pains that accom...
What should I know before I take celecoxib?
If you are over age 65, celecoxib may not be a good option for you. If you are allergic to sulfa dr...
What treatments other than NSAIDS can I use for a migraine?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Other treatments for acute migraine pain include the ergotamines, which because of their risks and a...
Are Steroid Injections for Back Pain Safe?