Can I take oxaprozin (Daypro) if I am pregnant?

Oxaprozin has been classified in Pregnancy Category C by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), which means that some adverse effects were seen in animals when they were given large doses. However, studies in animals don't always accurately predict what will happen in humans. Few studies were performed on pregnant women.

If you take oxaprozin toward the end of your pregnancy, however, it may cause the premature closure of the ductus arteriosus, in the baby a normal but temporary shunt that bypasses the lungs during pregnancy, but closes when your baby begins to breathe.

As with all drug use during pregnancy, the benefits should outweigh any risk to both you and your baby.

Continue Learning about Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs

An Alarming Side Effect of NSAIDs: Ovulation Stops
If the Duchess of Cambridge (Kate Middleton) had been taking any of the three common NSAIDs mentioned below, for any of the aches and pains that accom...
How should I take nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) are available both with and without a prescription...
How should I store my acetaminophen and NSAIDs?
Storage of pain relievers like acetaminophen and NSAIDs is somewhat simple: keep it tightly shut in ...
Are Steroid Injections for Back Pain Safe?