How does Celebrex affect the heart or vascular system?

Celebrex is in a class of medicines called COX-2 inhibitors. These COX-2 pain relievers specifically target the COX-2 enzyme, which is responsible for causing pain and inflammation. However, COX-2 may also play a role in certain normal functions of the body other than inflammation. By blocking COX-2 with Celebrex, these normal functions may also be blocked and may lead to the increased heart problems that we have seen with Celebrex. If you are taking celecoxib (Celecoxib) or considering taking it, talk to your doctor about what dose of celecoxib (Celebrex) is right for you. You should also review your heart risk factors with your doctor to determine how, if at all, they affect your safety when taking celecoxib (Celebrex).

Continue Learning about Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs

An Alarming Side Effect of NSAIDs: Ovulation Stops
If the Duchess of Cambridge (Kate Middleton) had been taking any of the three common NSAIDs mentioned below, for any of the aches and pains that accom...
What should I know before I take celecoxib?
If you are over age 65, celecoxib may not be a good option for you. If you are allergic to sulfa dr...
What should I avoid while taking NSAIDs?
When you first begin taking NSAIDs, avoid driving or operating machinery, as you may become drow...
Are Steroid Injections for Back Pain Safe?