Should I get screened for non-small cell cancer even if I have no symptoms?

The medical field is divided as to whether you should be screened early for non-small cell cancer if you have no symptoms, even if you are at risk for lung cancer. If a spot shows up on the screening tests, such as X-rays and CT scans, your doctor will test you further to determine whether it is cancer. On one hand, your doctor may find cancer that is still in the early stages, and thus easier to treat. More often, non-cancerous (and completely harmless) growths will show up on screening tests. There may be further testing, which may turn out to be unnecessary, uncomfortable, and potentially dangerous. If you are concerned about your risk of lung cancer, speak to your doctor about whether early screening would be right for you.

Continue Learning about Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer

Treating Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer with Immunotherapy
Immunotherapies are a category of cancer drugs that work by helping the body’s immune system identify and destroy cancer cells. Immunotherapy has been...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with non-small cell cancer?
The best way to care for someone with non-small cell cancer is to do everything you can to make them...
How can I prepare for an appointment for non-small cell lung cancer?
Brian D. Mott, MDBrian D. Mott, MD
If you’re going to see a specialist to diagnose or treat your suspected lung cancer bring the follow...
Differences Between Small Cell and Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer