Should I get screened for non-small cell cancer even if I have no symptoms?

The medical field is divided as to whether you should be screened early for non-small cell cancer if you have no symptoms, even if you are at risk for lung cancer. If a spot shows up on the screening tests, such as X-rays and CT scans, your doctor will test you further to determine whether it is cancer. On one hand, your doctor may find cancer that is still in the early stages, and thus easier to treat. More often, non-cancerous (and completely harmless) growths will show up on screening tests. There may be further testing, which may turn out to be unnecessary, uncomfortable, and potentially dangerous. If you are concerned about your risk of lung cancer, speak to your doctor about whether early screening would be right for you.

Continue Learning about Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer

Understanding Stage III NSCLC: How it Compares to Other Stages
There are two broad categories of lung cancer—small cell lung cancer (SCLC) and non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). Non-small cell lung cancer is the ...
How can I prepare for an appointment for non-small cell lung cancer?
If you or your doctor thinks you have non-small cell lung cancer, you will need to see an oncologist...
Does non-small cell cancer affect children differently than adults?
Children generally do not get non-small cell cancer. Lung cancer generally appears between the ages ...
Differences Between Small Cell and Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer