How do medications treat non-small cell cancer?

There are currently two major classes of medications for non-small cell cancer - chemotherapy and targeted drug therapy. Chemotherapy is one or more drugs that kill cancer cells given to you through your veins or by mouth.

Targeted drug therapy aims to stop processes within cells that are specific to cancer cells. One drug, bevacizumab (Avastin), stops the tumor from being able to create its own blood supply, thus limiting its growth. Another drug, erlotinib (Tarceva), prevents cancer cells from growing and dividing, limiting the tumor's growth.

Continue Learning about Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer

Treating Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer with Immunotherapy
Immunotherapies are a category of cancer drugs that work by helping the body’s immune system identify and destroy cancer cells. Immunotherapy has been...
Should I get screened for non-small cell cancer even if I have no symptoms?
The medical field is divided as to whether you should be screened early for non-small cell cancer if...
What is non-small cell lung cancer?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
Non-small cell lung cancer is a disease in which malignant (cancer) cells form in the tissues of the...
Differences Between Small Cell and Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer