What increases my risk for non-small cell cancer?

The one thing that will seriously increase your risk for non-small cell cancer is smoking or exposure to secondhand smoke - approximately 85% of all lung cancer cases are due to smoking.

Although it is not known exactly what else increases your risk for lung cancer, there are a few likely candidates. Some additional risk factors are if you have a family history of lung cancer or if you drink excessively. Exposure to certain cancer-causing chemicals such as radon, asbestos, mustard gas, cigar smoke, and radiation can also increase your risk for non-small cell cancer. Rarely, people who have had other lung problems, like tuberculosis, may also be at a higher risk for non-small cell lung cancer.

Continue Learning about Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer

What Can I Expect With Immunotherapy?
What Can I Expect With Immunotherapy?
How is immunotherapy administered and what are the side effects? Get answers to these questions and more in this video, with Jennifer Caudle, DO.
How do other illnesses affect non-small cell cancer?
Most illnesses do not affect non-small cell cancer, but treatments and the cancer itself can put you...
How can I prepare for an appointment for non-small cell lung cancer?
If you or your doctor thinks you have non-small cell lung cancer, you will need to see an oncologist...
Differences Between Small Cell and Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer