What increases my risk for non-small cell cancer?

The one thing that will seriously increase your risk for non-small cell cancer is smoking or exposure to secondhand smoke - approximately 85% of all lung cancer cases are due to smoking.

Although it is not known exactly what else increases your risk for lung cancer, there are a few likely candidates. Some additional risk factors are if you have a family history of lung cancer or if you drink excessively. Exposure to certain cancer-causing chemicals such as radon, asbestos, mustard gas, cigar smoke, and radiation can also increase your risk for non-small cell cancer. Rarely, people who have had other lung problems, like tuberculosis, may also be at a higher risk for non-small cell lung cancer.

Continue Learning about Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer

Understanding Stage III NSCLC: How it Compares to Other Stages
There are two broad categories of lung cancer—small cell lung cancer (SCLC) and non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). Non-small cell lung cancer is the ...
What is non-small cell lung cancer?
Penn MedicinePenn Medicine
Non-small cell lung cancer is a disease in which malignant (cancer) cells form in the tissues of the...
Should I get screened for non-small cell cancer even if I have no symptoms?
The medical field is divided as to whether you should be screened early for non-small cell cancer if...
Differences Between Small Cell and Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer