How can I prepare for an appointment for non-small cell lung cancer?

Brian D. Mott, MD
Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular)

If you’re going to see a specialist to diagnose or treat your suspected lung cancer bring the following:

• List of all medications.
  • List of past medical history including any surgeries or chronic conditions like diabetes.
  • Bring any copies of radiology tests you have like CT, PET, MRI, etc. 

If you or your doctor thinks you have non-small cell lung cancer, you will need to see an oncologist, which is a doctor who specializes in the treatment of cancer. Before you see the oncologist, make sure to ask about and follow any dietary or other restrictions. Make a list of your symptoms, even those that you think may be unrelated to non-small cell lung cancer. The oncologist will need your medical records and a list of any medications, vitamins, or supplements you are currently taking or have used in the past. Tell the oncologist about any recent stressful events or life changes you may have undergone.

Continue Learning about Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer

What Are the Treatment Options for Stage III NSCLC?
Sometimes referred to as “locally advanced” non-small-cell lung cancer, stage III NSCLC generally refers to cases where the cancer may have spread to ...
How does non-small cell lung cancer differ from small cell?
Non-small cell lung cancer differs from small cell lung cancer in the type of cells affected and in ...
Should I get screened for non-small cell cancer even if I have no symptoms?
The medical field is divided as to whether you should be screened early for non-small cell cancer if...
Differences Between Small Cell and Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer