How does chemotherapy help to treat non-small cell lung cancer?

Chemotherapy uses orally-administered or intravenous drugs to kill non-small cell lung cancer cells. Therapy is administered over several weeks or months. Different combinations of drugs may be used, and the therapy may be administered in combination with surgery or other treatments, like radiation therapy, to help make them more effective. Your oncologist will determine the best combination for you. Chemotherapy may be used to treat non-small cell lung cancer in its earlier stages, but even in the later stages of the disease chemotherapy can help relieve symptoms.

Continue Learning about Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer

What Are the Treatment Options for Stage III NSCLC?
Sometimes referred to as “locally advanced” non-small-cell lung cancer, stage III NSCLC generally refers to cases where the cancer may have spread to ...
Should I get screened for non-small cell cancer even if I have no symptoms?
The medical field is divided as to whether you should be screened early for non-small cell cancer if...
Does non-small cell cancer affect children differently than adults?
Children generally do not get non-small cell cancer. Lung cancer generally appears between the ages ...
Differences Between Small Cell and Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer