Should I limit my exercise after laser therapy on my eyes?

Yes, you should limit exercise after laser therapy on your eyes. Diabetic eye disease (retinopathy) is a condition of overgrowth of fragile blood vessels in the eye that can cause bleeding, scarring, and loss of vision if they break. Even though you have had laser therapy, you should still be careful to avoid situations that can stress these vessels. Avoid exercises that cause you to strain, such as weight lifting or any exercise that causes you to hold your breath. Underwater diving can also cause increased pressure in the eye and should be avoided. Another consequence of laser therapy is the possibility of a loss in peripheral vision (the ability to see clearly off to the side).

For this reason, some sports (such as racquetball or tennis) may be hazardous, because they require you to respond to a ball coming at a high speed from all angles. You should discuss any exercise program with your eye doctor if you have had laser therapy.

Continue Learning about Non-Diagnostic Surgical Procedures

What is a split-thickness skin graft (STSG)?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
A split-thickness skin graft (STSG) is a graft where just a few layers of outer skin are transplante...
What is cerebrospinal fluid diversion?
Cerebrospinal fluid diversion is a process used to drain fluid that has built up around the brain an...
How are lasers used to treat eye complications?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Laser therapy is used to directly burn cancer cells in the eye. Because this technique is focused an...
Why must I fast before surgery?
Fasting is often recommended before surgery. This ensures that your stomach and intestines are empty...