How is a full-thickness skin graft (FTSG) done?

Stuart A. Linder, MD
Plastic Surgery
Normally a FTSG is taken from the donor site by surgical excision of the entire skin layer. Both the epidermis and dermis are taken and surgical sutured to the wound. The Donor site can usually be closed directly. FTSG have advantages of better color match, less contraction of the graft, have optimal cosmetic match for facial wounds. Hand procedures also do better with full thickness skin grafts due to less contraction.

Continue Learning about Non-Diagnostic Surgical Procedures

How do skin grafts help burns?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
Skin grafts help burns heal. Skin grafts are needed if the burned area is too large to heal on its o...
What part of the body does a doctor take a skin graft from?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Doctors usually take skin for grafting from a part of the body that is hidden by clothing such as th...
Why must I fast before surgery?
Fasting is often recommended before surgery. This ensures that your stomach and intestines are empty...
Can I be fed artificially at home?
Jorge Vargas, MDJorge Vargas, MD
You can be fed artificially at home. More than twice as many people nationally receive enteral nutri...