Can low-level laser therapy help me quit smoking cigarettes?

This technique, also called cold laser therapy, is related to acupuncture. Cold lasers are sometimes used for acupuncture. The laser beams are used instead of needles to stimulate the body's acupoints. The treatment is supposed to relax the smoker and release endorphins (pain relief substances that are made naturally by the body) to mimic the effects of nicotine in the brain, or balance the body's energy to relieve the addiction. Despite claims of success by some cold laser therapy providers, there is no scientific evidence that shows this helps people stop smoking.

Continue Learning about Non-Diagnostic Surgical Procedures

Are nerve blocks used for joint or limb pain?
A joint block is an injection of a pain-reliever and steroid into a joint. Examples are facet blocks...
What are the side effects of esophageal surgery?
SwedishSwedish
The biggest side effect of esophageal surgery is difficulty swallowing, or dysphagia. Therefore, it ...
Can I be fed artificially at home?
Jorge Vargas, MDJorge Vargas, MD
You can be fed artificially at home. More than twice as many people nationally receive enteral nutri...
What part of the body does a doctor take a skin graft from?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
Doctors usually take skin for grafting from a part of the body that is hidden by clothing such as th...