Why are sugary soft drinks and juices bad for my health?

Dr. Robin Miller, MD
There is a correlation between consuming sugary drinks and obesity, diabetes, heart disease and cancer. In this video, Robin Miller, MD,  reports on which country has the most deaths related to sugary drinks.
Sari Greaves
A study in Diabetes Care found that drinking beverages with sugar as a sweetener significantly increased the risk for developing type II diabetes as well as the metabolic syndrome. The study, out of Harvard School of Public Health, was a meta-analysis that was able to prove that there is a direct relationship between sweetened beverages and the development of some serious health complications.

The study found that drinking just 1 to 2 sugar sweetened beverages per day can increase your risk of developing type II diabetes by up to 26%. At the same time, these same two beverages can increase your risk of developing metabolic syndrome as well. Also, it was found that further sweetened drinks continues to increase your risk -- so, with each additional sugared sweetened drink, it increases your risk for diabetes and metabolic syndrome another 25%. These results are astounding and continue to give ammunition to the drive to discourage the use of sugar-sweetened drinks to help improve your long-term health goals.

The increase in risk from the sugar-sweetened drinks is not simply from the increase in calories. It was found that the high fructose drinks have more negative effects on the body besides increasing unnecessary calories. The high fructose in these drinks will lead to an increase in adipose (fat), increase in triglycerides and a decrease in high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol (the good cholesterol). Therefore, the negative impact goes much farther than just the extra calories -- it targets many different parts of the body in a negative fashion.

Continue Learning about Non-Alcoholic Beverages & Health

8 Diet Coke Claims You'll Want to Know About
Diet Coke -- the best-selling sugar-free soft drink in the country -- has spawned a cult-like following among Americans. Some even swear they're addic...
What drinks are okay before bedtime?
I tell you not to eat within 2-3 hours of bedtime, but beverages are fine, as long as they don’t hav...
What beverages should I drink most often?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
Most often you should drink: Water Decaffeinated coffee, tea, and other decaffeinated beverage...
How Can I Reduce the Calories I Get From Beverages?