What are rehydration drinks?

During exercise our body loses water and electrolytes through perspiration and respiration. If your body continues to function with this loss of water and nutrients serious health issues can arise. A fluid loss of even 2% of body weight will adversely affect circulatory functions and decrease performance levels. Consuming an adequate amount of water will improve body temperature regulation, metabolic function, and endocrine gland and liver function. Rehydration drinks can simply be water or electrolyte drinks, such as Gatorade or Powerade. The purpose of rehydration is to replenish the water and electrolytes lost during exercise.

Continue Learning about Non-Alcoholic Beverages & Health

Can This Drink Increase Your Risk of Stroke?
A long drive. An afternoon slump. An upcoming exam that requires an all-nighter for prep. A rainy, snooze-button-heavy Monday morning. In situations l...
Do relaxation drinks have any drug interactions?
Carol Ash, DOCarol Ash, DO
Relaxation drinks contain herbals and hormones, so they can have drug interactions, especially with ...
What are the health benefits of coconut milk?
Coconut milk is a by-product of the meat of the coconut and has a number of health benefits. It is r...
What Low Calorie Beverages Can Help Curb My Food Cravings?