What are rehydration drinks?

During exercise our body loses water and electrolytes through perspiration and respiration. If your body continues to function with this loss of water and nutrients serious health issues can arise. A fluid loss of even 2% of body weight will adversely affect circulatory functions and decrease performance levels. Consuming an adequate amount of water will improve body temperature regulation, metabolic function, and endocrine gland and liver function. Rehydration drinks can simply be water or electrolyte drinks, such as Gatorade or Powerade. The purpose of rehydration is to replenish the water and electrolytes lost during exercise.

Continue Learning about Non-Alcoholic Beverages & Health

Sugary Sodas Linked to Increased Risk of Disease
Coca-Cola’s first recipe (1892) included sugar, caffeine, water—and, yes, it was rumored to include leaves of the coca plant, and/or processed cocaine...
What drinks are bad for my health?
Edward PhillipsEdward Phillips
Your body needs plenty of fluids, but it pays to be selective when pouring. Soda, lattes, sports...
What drinks are okay before bedtime?
I tell you not to eat within 2-3 hours of bedtime, but beverages are fine, as long as they don’t hav...
How to Navigate the Cocktail Menu
How to Navigate the Cocktail Menu