What drinks are okay before bedtime?

I tell you not to eat within 2-3 hours of bedtime, but beverages are fine, as long as they don’t have caffeine or too much simple sugar. In fact, de-caffeinated herbal tea is a great idea. Not only will the warm cup be soothing and relaxing, but some teas actually have sleep promoting benefits. My favorites are chamomile and Valerian. A cup of valerian tea with honey before bed is a centuries old practice for a reason. The natural compounds in the tea may help reduce the amount of time it take to fall asleep and the glucose in honey can help turn off orexin, a neurotransmitter linked to alertness. Be careful not to drink too much, or you’ll be waking up all night to run to the bathroom.

Continue Learning about Non-Alcoholic Beverages & Health

Diet Soda Downsides
Diet Soda Downsides
Is it time to ditch diet soda? The California-based group US Right to Know thinks so. They’ve petitioned the Federal Trade Commission asking them to p...
Do sports drinks have an antioxidant benefit?
Molly MorganMolly Morgan
Probably not. In general, most commercially sold sports drinks are a blend of water, sugars and flav...
What low calorie beverages can help curb my food cravings?
Alexandra JamiesonAlexandra Jamieson
Many people mistake their thirst for hunger. So it's a great question -- you may just be dehydrated!...
How Can I Cut Down on High-Calorie Drinks?