What drinks are okay before bedtime?

I tell you not to eat within 2-3 hours of bedtime, but beverages are fine, as long as they don’t have caffeine or too much simple sugar. In fact, de-caffeinated herbal tea is a great idea. Not only will the warm cup be soothing and relaxing, but some teas actually have sleep promoting benefits. My favorites are chamomile and Valerian. A cup of valerian tea with honey before bed is a centuries old practice for a reason. The natural compounds in the tea may help reduce the amount of time it take to fall asleep and the glucose in honey can help turn off orexin, a neurotransmitter linked to alertness. Be careful not to drink too much, or you’ll be waking up all night to run to the bathroom.

Continue Learning about Non-Alcoholic Beverages & Health

Stop Drinking Added Sugar
Stop Drinking Added Sugar
From Austria to Zimbabwe and more than 43 countries in between, sweet soda is the drink of choice. But here in North America we’ve taken it to a new l...
How does the season affect how much water I need to drink?
Getting adequate fluids (staying hydrated) is always important, and the seasons might affect that go...
How long does it take to feel the effects of a relaxation drink?
Carol Ash, DOCarol Ash, DO
For most people, it will take 1-2 hours to feel the effects of a relaxation drink, and it can last f...
What Low Calorie Beverages Can Help Curb My Food Cravings?