What are the benefits of drinking soy milk?

Toby Smithson

Soy milk is made by grinding soybean and mixing with water. Soy milk is lower in saturated fat than cow’s milk and contains no cholesterol. There is 10 grams of soy protein in an 8 ounce glass. Soy milk is a good option for people who are lactose intolerant. Check the nutrition facts panel to make sure there is at least 30% calcium which would be equivalent to 300 milligrams of calcium (the same amount of calcium in 1 cup of cow’s milk). 

Despite the belief that soy milk must offer a variety of health benefits, that is not accurate. It is low in saturated fat and cholesterol, but has essentially the same calorie and protein/carbohydrate/fat profile as regular cow's milk. The primary sugar in soy milk is sucrose vs galactose in milk and dairy products. Those with lactose intolerance have no problems digesting soy milk.

Continue Learning about Non-Alcoholic Beverages & Health

Exercise and Soft Drinks—A Dangerous Combo
In 2017, when Coke created an ad campaign using an animated virtual soccer player, Alex Hunter, from a digital game called FIFA 17, it made us wonder—...
How can drinking a non-alcoholic beer improve my sleep quality?
Carol Ash, DOCarol Ash, DO
Drinking a non-alcoholic beer can improve sleep quality because of the hops in the beer; it has a se...
What beverage is best to drink with meals?
It's Your Health NetworkIt's Your Health Network
Filtered water is your best bet. While I want you to drink sufficient water throughout your day, the...
How Can I Reduce the Calories I Get From Beverages?