What are the risks of drinking soda?

The average American drinks 53 gallons of soda a year; if it's regular soda, that comes to about 49 pounds of sugar. Soda is loaded with caffeine, high-fructose corn syrup, and calories. In addition to contributing to weight gain, drinking soda increases your risk of diabetes, bone weakening, and tooth decay.

High-fructose corn syrup, used in most non-diet sodas, raises blood sugar faster than regular cane sugar. Because the body converts this extra sugar into fat, research suggests that high-fructose corn syrup is particularly associated with increased body fat and obesity.
This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Non-Alcoholic Beverages & Health

Is Fruit Juice Worse Than Soda?
Is Fruit Juice Worse Than Soda?
Soda isn't the healthiest drink. Known for its high sugar content, research suggests that the sweet and bubbly beverage can contribute to kidney stone...
Do relaxation drinks have any drug interactions?
Carol Ash, DOCarol Ash, DO
Relaxation drinks contain herbals and hormones, so they can have drug interactions, especially with ...
How can I choose healthy coconut water?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
Since helping with the launch of coconut water here in the US, I've wanted everyone to know about th...
What Are Healthy Substitutes for Soda?
What Are Healthy Substitutes for Soda?