How do tea and coffee help me burn calories?

Caffeine does increase metabolism for several hours after it is ingested. For this reason one to two cups of a caffeinated beverage is all that is recommended for most people. The caffeine in coffee may raise blood pressure in people who already have hypertension. Coffee may also aggravate an existing ulcer and it can increase calcium excretion, which is bad for your bones. Caffeine is also a diuretic; it causes water to be excreted. Too much caffeine can result in mild or severe dehydration.
Coffee is a stimulant that contains caffeine. It can help you stay awake and also boost energy expenditure and speed up metabolism. So don't be afraid to drink a cup of Joe.

Green tea has compounds called phenols that have great thermogenic properties beyond that explained by its caffeine content. Give the green light to green tea and drink it hot or cold to promote energy expenditure.

Continue Learning about Non-Alcoholic Beverages & Health

3 Good-for-You Drinks
3 Good-for-You Drinks
Can't remember your kid's cell phone number? Try a daily dose of apple juice. Concerned about diabetes? Sip four cups of coffee a day. Sidelined by a...
How long does it take to feel the effects of a relaxation drink?
Carol Ash, DOCarol Ash, DO
For most people, it will take 1-2 hours to feel the effects of a relaxation drink, and it can last f...
How can I choose healthy coconut water?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
Since helping with the launch of coconut water here in the US, I've wanted everyone to know about th...
How to Navigate the Cocktail Menu
How to Navigate the Cocktail Menu