Should my child drink water or sports drinks when exercising?

Water is almost always the preferred fluid for a child to drink when exercising. Sports drinks contain electrolytes that help with rehydration. However, they are also filled with sugars, which increase your child's risk for obesity and diabetes. Professional athletes lose many more electrolytes and calories; therefore, sports drinks benefit them. For non-professional athletes, water is better.

Continue Learning about Non-Alcoholic Beverages & Health

Another Reason to Skip Diet Soda
Another Reason to Skip Diet Soda
It's the perennial question: How bad is that concoction of chemicals and coloring in your favorite diet soft drink? Is it a harmless alternative when ...
How does the season affect how much water I need to drink?
Getting adequate fluids (staying hydrated) is always important, and the seasons might affect that go...
What beverages should I drink most often?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
Most often you should drink: Water Decaffeinated coffee, tea, and other decaffeinated beverage...
How Can Drinking Coffee Help Me Live Longer?