Are there any problems with drinking energy drinks?

Jonathan A. Fialkow, MD
Research shows that energy drinks can cause shorter contraction times in the heart, which may disrupt normal function. The main concern is that over time, and with higher doses of caffeine consumed with multiple servings of the drinks, those shortened heart contractions may lead to scarring of the heart muscle and increased risk for higher blood pressure and potentially life-threatening arrhythmias.
Joane Goodroe
Nursing
Researchers think energy drinks can bring health risks linked to caffeine overdoses to kids, teens and young adults. The researchers say many energy drinks have about three times the caffeine in a cola, some have far more, and caffeine doesn’t have to be listed on the label.

Their review of medical literature links energy drinks to conditions such as seizures and heart problems, and says some young people are especially vulnerable.

At the University of Miami’s Miller School of Medicine, researcher Steven Lipshultz says the drinks don’t help and can hurt: "My personal feeling is that children and teenagers and young adults should be discouraged from using this.’’

Continue Learning about Non-Alcoholic Beverages & Health

8 Diet Coke Claims You'll Want to Know About
Diet Coke -- the best-selling sugar-free soft drink in the country -- has spawned a cult-like following among Americans. Some even swear they're addic...
Do sports drinks have too much sugar?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
Sports drinks are designed for use during intense exercise greater than one hour. Different products...
Do relaxation drinks have any drug interactions?
Carol Ash, DOCarol Ash, DO
Relaxation drinks contain herbals and hormones, so they can have drug interactions, especially with ...
How Can I Reduce the Calories I Get From Beverages?