Can the phytoestrogens in soy be harmful?

Soy and soy-based foods contain phytoestrogens and their consumption at high levels in many countries has occurred for decades with no problems. When the possibility of the phytoestrogens in soy to reduce certain types of cancers and improve other health parameters was learned, this opened the door to specific foods and supplements to provide these substances. Data on the benefits is inconclusive and long-term safety of high dose supplemental phytoestrogens is not known for certain. However, high soy food-based diets have a long history of safety and certainly 1 or 2 servings/day would not be harmful (and possibly helpful) to a vast majority.

Continue Learning about Non-Alcoholic Beverages & Health

Toss the Pop, Save Your Kidneys
Toss the Pop, Save Your Kidneys
Can you imagine a grocery store without a soft-drink section? Well, try to pretend it isn't there. Because if you cut down on the sweet stuff, it mig...
Can coffee and tea count towards my water intake?
dotFITdotFIT
Yes. Coffee and tea, as I am sure you know from making it or watching it being made, is almost all w...
How safe are sports drinks?
Jonathan A. Fialkow, MDJonathan A. Fialkow, MD
While there are concerns that caffeine-based energy drinks can be dangerous, sports drinks do serve ...
Drink Milk to Feel Full Longer
Drink Milk to Feel Full Longer