Is it okay to drink soda?

Keri Gans
I have a hard time telling my patients that it’s okay to drink soda. Yes, it counts toward your daily fluid intake, but it’s a waste of calories. Consider the ingredients in a 20-ounce bottle of cola. You get carbonated water, artificial flavor, caffeine, and about 17 teaspoons of sugar (250 calories). Even a smaller 12-ounce can contains about 150 calories, 10 teaspoons of sugar, and no nutrients at all. Let’s not even get into the calories contained in one 32- or 44-ounce supersized soda.
The Small Change Diet: 10 Steps to a Thinner, Healthier You

THE ONLY “DIET” PLAN YOU WILL EVER NEED! No deprivation, no struggles. Just ten small changes that will transform your life. Keri Gans, spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association, shares...

Continue Learning about Non-Alcoholic Beverages & Health

Toss the Pop, Save Your Kidneys
Toss the Pop, Save Your Kidneys
Can you imagine a grocery store without a soft-drink section? Well, try to pretend it isn't there. Because if you cut down on the sweet stuff, it mig...
How do tea and coffee help me burn calories?
Diane Armstrong, NASM Elite TrainerDiane Armstrong, NASM Elite Trainer
Caffeine does increase metabolism for several hours after it is ingested. For this reason one to tw...
What should my child drink?
What your children drink does more than just quench their thirst. Beverages replace the liquid their...
How Can I Reduce the Calories I Get From Beverages?