Is it okay to drink soda?

Keri Gans
I have a hard time telling my patients that it’s okay to drink soda. Yes, it counts toward your daily fluid intake, but it’s a waste of calories. Consider the ingredients in a 20-ounce bottle of cola. You get carbonated water, artificial flavor, caffeine, and about 17 teaspoons of sugar (250 calories). Even a smaller 12-ounce can contains about 150 calories, 10 teaspoons of sugar, and no nutrients at all. Let’s not even get into the calories contained in one 32- or 44-ounce supersized soda.
The Small Change Diet: 10 Steps to a Thinner, Healthier You

THE ONLY “DIET” PLAN YOU WILL EVER NEED! No deprivation, no struggles. Just ten small changes that will transform your life. Keri Gans, spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association, shares...

Continue Learning about Non-Alcoholic Beverages & Health

Stop Drinking Added Sugar
Stop Drinking Added Sugar
From Austria to Zimbabwe and more than 43 countries in between, sweet soda is the drink of choice. But here in North America we’ve taken it to a new l...
How can I cut down on high-calorie drinks?
Edward PhillipsEdward Phillips
Make no-cal water your top choice to quench thirst. Start by replacing one or two drinks a day w...
When are sports drinks beneficial?
Sarah Tittman , NASM Elite TrainerSarah Tittman , NASM Elite Trainer
Sports drinks serve as a very beneficial recovery tool following high intensity workouts or activiti...
How Can Drinking Coffee Help Me Live Longer?