Is it okay to have an energy drink an hour before a competition?

An energy drink is not recommended one hour prior to a competition because it has high levels of caffeine. Also, energy drinks are not designed to replenish electrolytes lost in sweat.

(This answer provided for NATA by the Appalachian State University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Non-Alcoholic Beverages & Health

Could Unsweetened Drinks Save You Some Pain?
Ice-cold sodas and fruity drinks may hit the spot on a warm weekend, but could sipping unsweetened tea instead save you from a pain-filled future? Ma...
What are the beverages that hydrate and dehydrate?
The word hydrate comes from the Greek word for water, so the best hydrating beverage is water. It qu...
How does what I drink affect my body?
Margaret FloydMargaret Floyd
What we drink is an important part of our diet, and something we often don't give a lot of thoug...
How Can I Cut Down on High-Calorie Drinks?