Is diet soda healthier than regular soda?

Dr. Lydie Hazan talks about diet sodas, their high sodium content and lack of nutritional value. Watch this video from Discovery Health.

Calorie intake has increased over the last 20 years and the majority of the increase comes from snacks and beverages. Regular soda is a prime source of extra calories that can contribute to weight gain. Substituting diet soda in place of regular soda can directly influence calorie intake, because diet soda uses artificial sweeteners and provides zero calories. Switching from sugar-sweetened soft drinks to diet drinks cuts calories and assist with weight control. However the internet is abuzz with horror stories of artificial sweeteners causing everything from cancer to obesity in humans. To date, the FDA has not been presented with scientific information that would support a change in conclusions about the safety of the five approved artificial sweeteners (saccharin, aspartame, sucralose, neotame, and acesulfame potassium). The safe conclusions are based on a detailed review of a large body of information, including hundreds of toxicological and clinical studies. So is diet soda better than regular soda pop? If you are trying to control your calorie intake, then definitely, yes, it is better.

Randolph P. Martin, MD
Diet soda is better than regular soda; however, you should avoid excess consumption of any type of cola. Watch this video to learn more from Dr. Randy P. Martin about diet and regular soda.

Diet sodas have fewer calories than regular sodas, but are they any better for you? In this video, Dr. Oz, Dr. Tanya Altmann, and Dr. Linda Lee talk about diet soda and how the calorie-free and low-calorie sweeteners in the ingredients can actually alter the way you taste food.
Most people know that drinking sugary soda pop is unhealthy. But is diet soda a healthy way to go? Unfortunately, there’s no evidence that says diet soda leads to weight loss. And some research shows that diet soda is just as likely to lead to high blood sugar as the regular kind. Of course, the best choice is good old water!

Continue Learning about Non-Alcoholic Beverages & Health

Increase Brain Blood Flow with This Chocolaty Treat
Indulge in this chocolaty cold-weather treat to give your brain a boost on family Scrabble night: hot cocoa. Yep, research shows that enjoying a coup...
Are functional drinks healthy?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
A growing number of "functional beverages" including juice, tea, soft drinks and flavored water ...
How do I choose a good sports drink?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
A good sports drink should have only a 6% to 8% concentration of carbohydrates (sugars). Too many ca...
How Can I Reduce the Calories I Get From Beverages?