Is coconut water beneficial?

Kate Myerson
Nutrition & Dietetics Specialist

Coconut water can be beneficial, it has some of the same nutrients you can find in foods like yogurt, bananas, salted nuts and pretzels to name a few. Coconut water is known for it’s electrolyte content. Electrolytes like sodium and potassium are known for their ability to keep the body hydrated. Sodium for example, retains fluid to keep our body from losing too much fluid. Like sports drinks, coconut water contains sodium and potassium. Sports drinks are recommended when we exercise intensely for more than one hour to replace the electrolytes lost from sweating. This is the time we may want electrolytes, although you could also have a banana and a salted pretzels for probably less money.

Dr. Pina LoGiudice, LAc, ND
Naturopathic Medicine Specialist

Watch as Naturopathic Doctor and Licensed Acupuncturist Dr. Pina LoGiudice explains how coconut water can be beneficial if added to your diet.

Mrs. Marjorie Nolan Cohn
Nutrition & Dietetics Specialist

Naturally refreshing, coconut water has a sweet, nutty taste. It contains easily digested carbohydrate in the form of sugar and electrolytes. Not to be confused with high-fat coconut milk or oil, coconut water is a clear liquid in the fruit’s center that is tapped from young, green coconuts.

It has fewer calories, less sodium, and more potassium than a sports drink. Ounce per ounce, most unflavored coconut water contains 5.45 calories, 1.3 grams sugar, 61 milligrams (mg) of potassium, and 5.45 mg of sodium compared to Gatorade, which has 6.25 calories, 1.75 grams of sugar, 3.75 mg of potassium, and 13.75 mg of sodium.

Coconut water has less sugar than many sports drinks and much less sugar than sodas and some fruit juices. Plain coconut water could be a better choice for adults and kids looking for a beverage that is less sweet.

Continue Learning about Non-Alcoholic Beverages & Health

Rethink Your Diet Drink
Rethink Your Diet Drink
If you’re among the 59% of Americans who regularly sip diet drinks, it’s time for a change. A ground-breaking, big-impact study says the artificial sw...
How do sugary beverages affect health?
Keri GansKeri Gans
In one Harvard study that followed 88,000 women for twenty-four years, those who drank at least ...
How does what I drink affect my body?
Margaret FloydMargaret Floyd
What we drink is an important part of our diet, and something we often don't give a lot of thoug...
How Can I Cut Down on High-Calorie Drinks?