How can sugar-free drinks cause weight gain?

Margaret Floyd
A study done at the University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio showed that drinking diet sodas increases the risk of obesity by 41 percent for every can of soda consumed daily. There are different theories about how sugar-free sodas lead to weight gain. One theory is that because they have no calories, those who use artificial sweeteners are more likely to assume a "free pass" and eat more overall. Another theory is that simply the taste of something sweet can lead to increased body weight due to the psychological processes initiated by that taste, even in the absence of sugar.
Eat Naked: Unprocessed, Unpolluted, and Undressed Eating for a Healthier, Sexier You

Eat Naked with Margaret Floyd for a Sexier You Are you fed up with counting calories? Confused by all the diet hype? Want to eat delicious, real food and look and feel great? Leading...

Continue Learning about Non-Alcoholic Beverages & Health

Is Fruit Juice Worse Than Soda?
Is Fruit Juice Worse Than Soda?
Soda isn't the healthiest drink. Known for its high sugar content, research suggests that the sweet and bubbly beverage can contribute to kidney stone...
How does a sports drink actually increase hydration more than water?
A sports drink works to increase hydration in three ways: Encourages voluntary fluid intake. S...
How can I choose healthy coconut water?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
Since helping with the launch of coconut water here in the US, I've wanted everyone to know about th...
What Low Calorie Beverages Can Help Curb My Food Cravings?