How safe are sports drinks?

Jonathan A. Fialkow, MD
While there are concerns that caffeine-based energy drinks can be dangerous, sports drinks do serve a purpose for hardcore athletes. Sports drinks contain minerals and fluids that should be replenished after periods of intense sweating. However, they also contain a lot of sugar to improve the taste. That sugar can contribute to weight gain -- in the same way as soft drinks -- and adds no benefit to the intensity of a workout. For most people who exercise for short bouts with moderate intensity, water is the best drink to prevent dehydration.

Continue Learning about Non-Alcoholic Beverages & Health

8 Diet Coke Claims You'll Want to Know About
Diet Coke -- the best-selling sugar-free soft drink in the country -- has spawned a cult-like following among Americans. Some even swear they're addic...
How can I choose healthy coconut water?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
Since helping with the launch of coconut water here in the US, I've wanted everyone to know about th...
What is a recovery drink?
Recovery is a crucial part of the training process, and it starts from the moment you end your r...
Drink Milk to Feel Full Longer
Drink Milk to Feel Full Longer