How safe are energy and alcohol combination drinks?

Arthur W. Perry, MD
Plastic Surgery
The problem with some energy/alcohol combination drinks is that the caffeine reduces the tipsy feeling that we all get when we drink too much. In fact, the sedating effects of alcohol are blunted so much that drinkers of these alcohol/energy drinks are three times more likely to binge drink (more than four drinks for a woman or five drinks for a man). And they're twice as likely to sexually take advantage of someone else or be taken advantage of. They're also twice as likely to drive drunk or drive with someone who is drunk. In short, they lose control… and then bad things happen. Deaths and violence on college campuses all over the country have been linked to alcoholic energy drinks.
Alcohol and energy drinks are a bad combination. Since caffeine acts a stimulant and alcohol acts as a depressant, consuming the two together can make you feel less intoxicated even though your psychomotor skills are impaired.  This not only can perpetuate further drinking but also the false sense of being able to perform skills such as driving or operating other equipment, which can have deadly consequences under the influence of alcohol.

Continue Learning about Non-Alcoholic Beverages & Health

Rethink Your Diet Drink
Rethink Your Diet Drink
If you’re among the 59% of Americans who regularly sip diet drinks, it’s time for a change. A ground-breaking, big-impact study says the artificial sw...
How do tea and coffee help me burn calories?
Coffee is a stimulant that contains caffeine. It can help you stay awake and also boost energy expen...
What are the health effects of vitamin water?
Kate GeaganKate Geagan
Enhanced vitamin waters are all the rage these days, but they can contain upwards of 50 calories...
How Can I Cut Down on High-Calorie Drinks?