How can I reduce the calories I get from beverages?

Kate Geagan
You can lessen your liquid calories by making one simple switch, says nutritionist Kate Geagan. Learn a simple trick for reducing the calories you drink by watching the video.
Keri Gans
“Beverage awareness” is the first step. Read the Nutrition Facts label on cans and bottles carefully, read the nutrition information listed on company websites, and record your daily beverages in your food journal, so you can see for yourself how many calories they add to your daily intake. Before long, you’ll learn to make small but smart choices that allow you to drink your favorite beverages, rather than wear them around your hips.

Here's how you can lessen the calories you get from what you drink:
  • Aim for eight cups of fluids, with an emphasis on water, a day.
  • Sip seltzer water or club soda instead of regular soda.
  • Switch from whole milk to 1 percent low-fat or nonfat milk.
  • If you drink juice or fruit drinks, opt for 100 percent fruit juice, and limit it to eight ounces a day.
  • Switch from “fancy” sugar-sweetened coffee or tea drinks to regular coffee or tea. It is always better to add your own sugar, if needed, to control amount.
  • If you drink alcohol, stick to one to two glasses of wine or beer, or one cocktail a day.
The Small Change Diet: 10 Steps to a Thinner, Healthier You

THE ONLY “DIET” PLAN YOU WILL EVER NEED! No deprivation, no struggles. Just ten small changes that will transform your life. Keri Gans, spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association, shares...
Mary Mullen
Here are some possible goals to get you started:
  • Cut back to drinking soda pop on the weekends only.
  • Bring water bottles to sporting events instead of sport drinks or juice.
  • Drink a glass of low-fat or fat-free milk at each meal.
  • Order the smallest size soda pop or lemonade when eating out and skip the refills.
  • Eat a piece of fruit for breakfast instead of drinking a glass of juice.
  • Keep a pitcher of cold water in the fridge at all times (flavor with fresh lemon, lime, or orange wedges).
  • Drink no more juice than the recommended daily limit: 4 to 6 ounces (younger kids); 8 to 12 ounces (older kids and adults).
  • Switch from whole milk to low-fat milk.
Healthy Eating, Healthy Weight for Kids and Teens

In a world of fast food, supersized sodas, and televised temptations, this guide shows how to buck the obesity trend currently in the national spotlight—and have fun doing it. Using a family...

Continue Learning about Non-Alcoholic Beverages & Health

Another Reason to Skip Diet Soda
Another Reason to Skip Diet Soda
It's the perennial question: How bad is that concoction of chemicals and coloring in your favorite diet soft drink? Is it a harmless alternative when ...
Should I drink sports drinks?
Joan Salge Blake, MS, RDJoan Salge Blake, MS, RD
According to the advice in the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics’ Sports Nutrition manual, individu...
Are vitamin drinks safe for your body?
Crystal RobertsonCrystal Robertson
The safety of vitamin drinks is not the most important issue, says Crystal Robertson, a registered d...
What Low Calorie Beverages Can Help Curb My Food Cravings?