How can I cut down on high-calorie drinks?

Kate Geagan

It's easy to underestimate the whopping amount of sugar and calories found in common drinks. In this video, nutritionist Kate Geagan discusses easy ways to enjoy  your beverage without blowing your healthy diet.

Edward Phillips
Physical Therapy
Make no-cal water your top choice to quench thirst. Start by replacing one or two drinks a day with water (or green tea, a healthy alternative as long as you drink it without added sweeteners). It helps to get in the habit of carrying a water bottle, or keeping one ready to refill at work. Be aware that you may think you're hungry when you're actually thirsty, so reach for your water bottle before you start snacking. To find out how many calories you'll save, check nutrition labels on the drinks you currently enjoy. And be sure to pay close attention to the serving size. You may be surprised to find that a single sports drink or juice bottle contains two to three servings, and thus far more calories than you realized.

Continue Learning about Non-Alcoholic Beverages & Health

Exercise and Soft Drinks—A Dangerous Combo
In 2017, when Coke created an ad campaign using an animated virtual soccer player, Alex Hunter, from a digital game called FIFA 17, it made us wonder—...
Do relaxation drinks have any drug interactions?
Carol Ash, DOCarol Ash, DO
Relaxation drinks contain herbals and hormones, so they can have drug interactions, especially with ...
How does what I drink affect my body?
Margaret FloydMargaret Floyd
What we drink is an important part of our diet, and something we often don't give a lot of thoug...
How Can Drinking Coffee Help Me Live Longer?