How can I cut back on sugary drinks?

Here are some ways to reduce sugary drinks:
  • Go with H2O. Carry water with you -- and drink it all day long.
  • Get milk. Aim for 2 to 3 cups of skim or 1% milk every day. Your whole body -- especially your bones and teeth -- will thank you.
  • Rethink mealtime drinks. Drink water or milk (skim or 1%) at meals and snack times.
  • Make it special. Save soda, lemonade, sports drinks, Kool-Aid, and punch for special occasions -- no more than once a week. If you're used to drinking regular soda, switch to diet soda.
  • Watch the juice. Drink 100% fruit juice -- but limit yourself to one small (4 to 6 ounces) glass or juice box a day. Better yet, eat a piece of fruit instead. You'll get more nutrients and feel more satisfied.
  • Exercise caution. Go easy on the sports drinks. Most of the time, water is best for exercise.

Continue Learning about Non-Alcoholic Beverages & Health

8 Diet Coke Claims You'll Want to Know About
Diet Coke -- the best-selling sugar-free soft drink in the country -- has spawned a cult-like following among Americans. Some even swear they're addic...
How can I reduce the calories I get from beverages?
Kate GeaganKate Geagan
You can lessen your liquid calories by making one simple switch, says nutritionist Kate Geagan. Lear...
What low calorie beverages can help curb my food cravings?
Alexandra JamiesonAlexandra Jamieson
Many people mistake their thirst for hunger. So it's a great question -- you may just be dehydrated!...
How to Navigate the Cocktail Menu
How to Navigate the Cocktail Menu