How can I choose healthy coconut water?

Ms. Ashley Koff, RD
Since helping with the launch of coconut water here in the US, I've wanted everyone to know about the benefits of this "Nature's Gatorade." However, products now contain cane juice -- a fancy name for sugar. What was always good about coconut water was that it was a diluted source of natural sugar -- we only got what nature intended for us, natural sugar plus electrolytes. With these new products, one enters the world of sugared beverages, a definite no on the path of nutrition for optimal health. So much research and medical anecdotal evidence today points to the fact that added sugar, especially in the beverage form puts us at risk for obesity, is negative for our immune system, negatively effects triglyceride levels as well as insulin sensitivity, and may irritate the digestive system.

I recommend skipping these beverages and sticking with the original, plain coconut water. You can always add your own frozen (so they are like ice cubes) organic berries or fruit to it for some extra sweetness and antioxidants -- from nature.

Continue Learning about Non-Alcoholic Beverages & Health

How Can I Reduce the Calories I Get From Beverages?
How Can Drinking Coffee Help Me Live Longer?
Drink Milk to Feel Full Longer
Drink Milk to Feel Full Longer
What Low Calorie Beverages Can Help Curb My Food Cravings?