How can I choose healthy coconut water?

Ms. Ashley Koff, RD
Since helping with the launch of coconut water here in the US, I've wanted everyone to know about the benefits of this "Nature's Gatorade." However, products now contain cane juice -- a fancy name for sugar. What was always good about coconut water was that it was a diluted source of natural sugar -- we only got what nature intended for us, natural sugar plus electrolytes. With these new products, one enters the world of sugared beverages, a definite no on the path of nutrition for optimal health. So much research and medical anecdotal evidence today points to the fact that added sugar, especially in the beverage form puts us at risk for obesity, is negative for our immune system, negatively effects triglyceride levels as well as insulin sensitivity, and may irritate the digestive system.

I recommend skipping these beverages and sticking with the original, plain coconut water. You can always add your own frozen (so they are like ice cubes) organic berries or fruit to it for some extra sweetness and antioxidants -- from nature.

Continue Learning about Non-Alcoholic Beverages & Health

Stop Drinking Added Sugar
Stop Drinking Added Sugar
From Austria to Zimbabwe and more than 43 countries in between, sweet soda is the drink of choice. But here in North America we’ve taken it to a new l...
What is a recovery drink?
Julie DuBois, NASM Elite Trainer, RDJulie DuBois, NASM Elite Trainer, RD
Recovery drinks generally contain carbohydrates and protein. These two macronutritents are very impo...
What are the health risks of sugary drinks for children?
Although sugary drinks like punch and lemonade may seem to quench your child’s thirst, they actually...
How Can I Reduce the Calories I Get From Beverages?