How do I choose a good sports drink?

A good sports drink should have only a 6% to 8% concentration of carbohydrates (sugars). Too many carbohydrates in the drink can cause stomach upset and decrease the amount of fluid absorbed by the body’s systems, and may contribute to dehydration. The sports drink should also include electrolytes such as sodium and potassium, and contain little to no caffeine. Caffeine increases urine output, and high doses can contribute to dehydration. Sports drinks that also contain protein can be consumed during or after strenuous activity to help enhance muscle recovery. Gatorade, which is an official founding sponsor of the National Athletic Trainers’ Association (NATA), is one example of a quality sports drink.

This answer provided for NATA by the Appalachian State University Athletic Training Education Program.

Continue Learning about Non-Alcoholic Beverages & Health

Can This Drink Increase Your Risk of Stroke?
A long drive. An afternoon slump. An upcoming exam that requires an all-nighter for prep. A rainy, snooze-button-heavy Monday morning. In situations l...
Do sports drinks have an antioxidant benefit?
Molly MorganMolly Morgan
Probably not. In general, most commercially sold sports drinks are a blend of water, sugars and flav...
How can I cut down on high-calorie drinks?
Kate GeaganKate Geagan
It's easy to underestimate the whopping amount of sugar and calories found in common drinks. In th...
How Can I Reduce the Calories I Get From Beverages?