Do energy drinks work?

Ms. Ashley Koff, RD
Depends on how you define "work" -- will they speed up your system and give you a rush? Likely. But will a hard crash follow that rush and could that rush be dangerous for your system or cause burn out if you do it regularly. Likely. Are all "energy" drinks the same? No. When you need energy isn't the body calling out for nutrients to support its own energy equations as opposed to just wanting to be sped up without fuel to do its work. Yes. 
Popular "energy" drinks seem to have taken over the world - you can get them everywhere from convenience stores to night clubs. But do they work? I wish I could give a definitive answer, but there's just not enough data to be sure. If you are going to indulge, go for the sugar-free versions. Many are loaded with caffeine, or its equivalent, which, of course, can explain why drinkers feel a boost, no matter what the other "energy" ingredients end up being (things like taurine and guarana).

While it doesn't appear they're unsafe (though there have been some links to heart problems in rare cases), we do know of one definite downside: Don't mix them with alcohol. By getting you "up," they allow you to drink more booze before you feel its negative effects -- a dangerous combo indeed.
You: Being Beautiful - The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Non-Alcoholic Beverages & Health

Sugary Sodas Linked to Increased Risk of Disease
Coca-Cola’s first recipe (1892) included sugar, caffeine, water—and, yes, it was rumored to include leaves of the coca plant, and/or processed cocaine...
What are the health effects of vitamin water?
Kate GeaganKate Geagan
Enhanced vitamin waters are all the rage these days, but they can contain upwards of 50 calories...
How safe are sports drinks?
Jonathan A. Fialkow, MDJonathan A. Fialkow, MD
While there are concerns that caffeine-based energy drinks can be dangerous, sports drinks do serve ...
What Low Calorie Beverages Can Help Curb My Food Cravings?