What is the difference between the different sports drinks?

Toby Smithson

The main difference between the sports drinks products is the amount and type of carbohydrate, or sugar. Most drinks offer sucrose and fructose. Sucrose is the same as table sugar and fructose is the main type of sugar found in fruit. Other drinks contain artificial sweeteners, which may not be as effective since they are not a source of carbohydrates. A drink of between 6-8% carbohydrates would be a good option to test during training. Some people experience stomach cramps with higher percentages

Traditional sports drinks are a 6-8% carbohydrate solution, with added electrolyte minerals (particularly sodium and potassium). These beverages were designed to replace the fluid and minerals lost in sweat and the carbohydrate used in activity. Today, there are many other options from 0 calorie beverages, to slightly higher carb and carb/protein formations. Athletes should determine their needs and priorities, and then choose the drink that best meets those needs.

Continue Learning about Non-Alcoholic Beverages & Health

Could Unsweetened Drinks Save You Some Pain?
Ice-cold sodas and fruity drinks may hit the spot on a warm weekend, but could sipping unsweetened tea instead save you from a pain-filled future? Ma...
How safe are sports drinks?
Jonathan A. Fialkow, MDJonathan A. Fialkow, MD
While there are concerns that caffeine-based energy drinks can be dangerous, sports drinks do serve ...
How do tea and coffee help me burn calories?
Diane Armstrong, NASM Elite TrainerDiane Armstrong, NASM Elite Trainer
Caffeine does increase metabolism for several hours after it is ingested. For this reason one to tw...
What Low Calorie Beverages Can Help Curb My Food Cravings?