What is the difference between the different sports drinks?

Traditional sports drinks are a 6-8% carbohydrate solution, with added electrolyte minerals (particularly sodium and potassium). These beverages were designed to replace the fluid and minerals lost in sweat and the carbohydrate used in activity. Today, there are many other options from 0 calorie beverages, to slightly higher carb and carb/protein formations. Athletes should determine their needs and priorities, and then choose the drink that best meets those needs.
Toby Smithson

The main difference between the sports drinks products is the amount and type of carbohydrate, or sugar. Most drinks offer sucrose and fructose. Sucrose is the same as table sugar and fructose is the main type of sugar found in fruit. Other drinks contain artificial sweeteners, which may not be as effective since they are not a source of carbohydrates. A drink of between 6-8% carbohydrates would be a good option to test during training. Some people experience stomach cramps with higher percentages

Continue Learning about Non-Alcoholic Beverages & Health

Can This Drink Increase Your Risk of Stroke?
A long drive. An afternoon slump. An upcoming exam that requires an all-nighter for prep. A rainy, snooze-button-heavy Monday morning. In situations l...
When should I give my child a sports drink?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
When it comes to keeping hydrated during play, water is usually adequate. With sustained activity th...
How can drinking a non-alcoholic beer improve my sleep quality?
Carol Ash, DOCarol Ash, DO
Drinking a non-alcoholic beer can improve sleep quality because of the hops in the beer; it has a se...
Drink Milk to Feel Full Longer
Drink Milk to Feel Full Longer