Could drinking soda make my child violent?

Jacob Teitelbaum
Integrative Medicine
A study suggests that high-sugar soft drinks pose a danger not only to the children who drink them -- but to their friends, family members and classmates as well. In this large survey of Boston high school students, those who drank five or more sodas per week were far more likely to act violently toward peers, siblings, and people they were dating. They were also much more likely to carry weapons.

Drinking soda, even just one can a day, was as likely to be associated with a student being more violent as were underage drinking and smoking. The study found that the more soda the child drank, the more violent he was. This suggests that even moderate cutbacks in drinking soda could make a big difference.

Continue Learning about Non-Alcoholic Beverages & Health

Toss the Pop, Save Your Kidneys
Toss the Pop, Save Your Kidneys
Can you imagine a grocery store without a soft-drink section? Well, try to pretend it isn't there. Because if you cut down on the sweet stuff, it mig...
What beverages should I drink most often?
Intermountain Registered DietitiansIntermountain Registered Dietitians
Most often you should drink: Water Decaffeinated coffee, tea, and other decaffeinated beverage...
When should I give my child a sports drink?
Scripps HealthScripps Health
When it comes to keeping hydrated during play, water is usually adequate. With sustained activity th...
Drink Milk to Feel Full Longer
Drink Milk to Feel Full Longer