What effect do carbonated sodas have on the body?

Carbon dioxide, also known as CO2, is a compound made of one carbon atom and two oxygen atoms. Beverages are artificially carbonated when carbon dioxide is dissolved into the liquid under high pressure; when that pressure is released, small gas bubbles develop. Some of the carbon dioxide produces carbonic acid, which is acidic. A common concern with carbonated beverages is the acidity levels and the risk of calcium and magnesium loss from bones due to a change in the body’s pH levels.  A study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found no significant link between short-term consumption of carbonated beverages and urinary excretion of calcium, which is an indicator for calcium depletion. Other concerns (e.g. tooth enamel damage and obesity) over carbonated soda are related to the sugar content of the soda and not the carbonation. In the short term, there are no negative effects from drinking carbonated beverages other than extra calories added to your daily intake.

Continue Learning about Non-Alcoholic Beverages & Health

Stop Drinking Added Sugar
Stop Drinking Added Sugar
From Austria to Zimbabwe and more than 43 countries in between, sweet soda is the drink of choice. But here in North America we’ve taken it to a new l...
How does what I drink affect my body?
Margaret FloydMargaret Floyd
What we drink is an important part of our diet, and something we often don't give a lot of thoug...
What are some healthy beverages?
Julie DuBois, NASM Elite Trainer, RDJulie DuBois, NASM Elite Trainer, RD
The best beverage you can drink is going to be water. You can make it more flavorful by adding cut u...
How Can I Cut Down on High-Calorie Drinks?