Are carbonated drinks bad for me?

Whether or not carbonated drinks are bad for you depends on their ingredients. The idea that plain carbonated beverages can cause weakening in the bones and teeth is one of many Internet rumors making the rounds, but there’s no evidence that it’s true. In fact, the International Osteoporosis Foundation (IOF) says that while colas and energy drinks may contain ingredients that can negatively impact your stores of calcium, carbonation itself is not the culprit. Many commercial mineral waters are carbonated, and some are rich in calcium and other minerals -- as well as being free of calories. These calcium-rich beverages can actually be beneficial if you’re not getting enough calcium in your diet.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Non-Alcoholic Beverages & Health

Sugary Sodas Linked to Increased Risk of Disease
Coca-Cola’s first recipe (1892) included sugar, caffeine, water—and, yes, it was rumored to include leaves of the coca plant, and/or processed cocaine...
How do sugary beverages affect health?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Studies link an increase in Americans' intake of sweetened drinks -- especially soda and sports drin...
Can coffee and tea count towards my water intake?
dotFITdotFIT
Yes. Coffee and tea, as I am sure you know from making it or watching it being made, is almost all w...
How Can I Cut Down on High-Calorie Drinks?