How is nitrous oxide used in tubal ligations or tubectomies?

Nitrous oxide is used in tubal ligations (tubectomies) to inflate the abdominal cavity. The medication is injected into the abdomen with a needle. Once the abdomen is inflated, doctors can view and operate on the fallopian tubes by inserting a laparoscope (and other instruments) through a small hole in the abdomen. Because this laparoscopic procedure is minimally invasive (avoiding the need to cut a large opening in the abdomen), there is a lower risk of infection and shortened recovery time.

Continue Learning about Nitrous Oxide

Should I drive after receiving nitrous oxide?
After you receive nitrous oxide and the mask has been removed, you should feel fine. It may take...
Should I receive nitrous oxide if I am pregnant?
If you are pregnant now or plan to get pregnant, you should not receive nitrous oxide without ta...
Is there a generic version of nitrous oxide?
Nitrous oxide, or laughing gas, is available to dentists and doctors as a generic sedative. It i...
How soon after taking nitrous oxide will I feel its effects?
Nitrous oxide, or laughing gas, works quickly. Within a few minutes of inhaling nitrous oxide th...